Sunday, January 25, 2009

Live Journal: Hi Ho Hi Ho


Well, it's official, I am back to work tomorrow full time, 5 days a week from 9-5. I think this is going to seriously affect my creative life! I have been hired as a Facilitator of groups for an employment agency, a contract Government position. It is a job, and yet it is not a job! I get paid, I put in 35 hours a week, but while I am working this job I am supposed to be gaining as much experience in this field as possible, attending re-training workshops, and actively looking for a permanent position elsewhere in this field. I am there to sort of work myself out of a job and into another one. Ideally, they want me to leave before my 52 week contract with them is up because then they are successful in re-training me for a second career. If they fail, and I can't find full time employment in the field of Facilitating, Training, Instructing....then they will look at sending me back to school. Not a shabby deal! The kicker is....my Supervisor is young enough to be my son!

I haven't worked a 9-5'er in a long time and I have not worked outside my home for a year now, even longer as I was a property manager just before I quit and did that from my home as well! I have done facilitating, training, and instructing before in the many positions I held as a Social Worker but that has not been my primary work....(thus the second career aspect of this). I haven't worked in social work now for 2 years so I am feeling really out of the loop and a little apprehensive about getting back into the "helping" field again. Fear of the unknown I guess. I am also worried that I may fail...especially physically. The last 2 years have been a battle with my auto immune system and battling things like, hypothyroidism, hypoglycemia, arthritis, gerd, bi-polar 2, and muscle pain and fatigue all linked to the fibromyalgia. I am not a basket case by any means.....I only have to take meds for the Gerd and Thyroid, and I take Arthritis Tylenol for the arthritis. The rest I have learned to manage with diet, rest, and reduced stress. The thing is, it is easy to manage these things when you are at home....from the work place it is a whole other story, so I have some anxiety over this. But...I am just going to take this day by day and hope for the best not the worst. I will keep you posted on how things go.

1 comment:

  1. Hope all works out well for you returning to full time work. I too have underactive thyroid since 15 years ago. Don't think i've ever felt like i'm in "fully working order" since even on the thyroxine!!
    Louby x

    ReplyDelete

Hi..How are you? What is on your mind? Leave a comment and I will get back to you as soon as I can! Thanks and have a great day!